Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Sunday 1 March 2009

Green Monster, Rehab Wall, upper Evan Thomas Creek

Will Meinen leading Green Monster, WI3+, Rehab Wall
Click here for full report

In an attempt to link my photo albums to a single point of reference, I'm going to retro-post details of various trips we made last year onto this blog. Things will calm down in a couple of weeks, but until then, here is the first of a series links to short write-ups of climbs, hikes, rides and paddles that we did in late 2007 to early 2009.

Green Monster is at the left end of 'Rehab Wall', which is a reasonably long walk up Evan Thomas Creek, in Kananaskis Country . The routes here are not presently in a guidebook, but there are half a dozen good, single pitch ice routes and a wall of hard, bolted mixed climbing that is said to be 'the new Haffner'. On the day that we climbed there, it was somewhere around -30C and I lost all feeling in four of my fingers for 3 weeks afterwards. I had warm feet though - resulting from a combination of wearing my ancient plastic boots, and changing my socks when we got to the route. That's a top tip from Grant - dry socks don't conduct heat like wet ones and in those temperatures it makes a massive difference to your comfort (and potentially, your toe count!).

No comments: