Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Sunday 1 February 2009

Return to the hand breaker: West Bragg Creek ski trails

On April 25th last year I went Nordic skiing on a hot day (over 20C) at West Bragg Creek. The trail was beyond my abilities, and about 2 km from the end, I hit a patch of gravel exposed by the rapidly melting snow. Pitching headlong down the slope, I punched through the snowbase to a perfectly-positioned cobble. Result: spiral fracture of 3rd metacarpal, right at the start of the climbing and cycling season.

Nine months later Lou and I returned to the scene of the accident and skiied a couple of loops at West Bragg Creek. On our second day back, I tried the same hill again.....and in the elation of making it to the bottom unscathed, I hit a bump and fell. This time, fortunately, there was no lurking rock under the snow.

West Bragg Creek is a nice place to head to from Calgary for some free skiing, thanks to the efforts of the local track setting group. You can download a trail map here, and see trail conditions here. Also, I took some pics of our return visit.




No comments: