Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Saturday 2 May 2009

When sixty-six was ninety-two.

Went out for my third road ride of the year yesterday with Simon, who is in training for an Iron Man triathlon. He selected a route from his house that heads out to Cochrane then does a quick loop past Big Hill Springs before returning. '66 km' he said - so I thought 'fine, one bottle of water, no food needed'. Big Mistake. We (I was there, so have to take some blame) missed a turning (which I wasn't aware we were looking for) northwest of Cochrane and ended up waaaaay north of our intended route. This then meant returning up the big hill out of Cochrane, which started at 72 km on the odometer (and ended at 75.5 km). Total distance: 92 km, averaging somewhere over 26 km/h. Man, my legs and backside were aching afterwards! Two things of interest happened during the ride: I met a guy from Wednesfield, England (not many of us ex-Wulfrunians out here), and I noticed the sparkling azure of the Ghost Reservoir in the distance so could plan the next day's kayak trip. Another mistake in the making....

No comments: