Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Friday 17 July 2009

Sulphur Springs MTB

The weather has been pretty eventful this week. We had tornado warnings in Calgary, and pretty much every day there has been a violent thunderstorm. You have to take your chances though, so Mark Nelson and I headed out on Wednesday night to do the Sulphur Springs MTB loop in the Elbow Valley.

The storms have affected the trails, and the results are not pretty. Run-off and interflow were still flooding numerous sections of trail, and in places the path had become a fast-moving watercourse. In other locations, deep erosion ruts have appeared, and loose cobbles dumped by flash-flooding litter the trail. This is a pretty sandy, well-drained trail compared to, say, Telephone Loop, so I reckon it'll be a while before the boggier trails are properly rideable again.

The loop itself is about 11 km and contains a lot of hills - the route is shown in the Gem Trek map extract - I had walked it previously but had somehow forgotten how lacking in flat sections it was. Flat sections mean puddles and mud anyway, so maybe not a bad thing. I'd just had a tetanus jab though, and I felt like crap all the way round. On the uphills I felt like vomming and the downhills shook the arm muscle where the jab had been, like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier with a rat in its mouth. The trail conditions didn't help, and I was very glad of my disc brakes, except when we almost ran into a bear, and the squealing of rim brakes might have come in useful. It's a great little ride though and one I'll do again, for sure.

No comments: