Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Saturday 27 February 2016

Prairie Mountain SW Ridge


When I lived in SW Calgary, Prairie Mountain was a common destination during the weeks before the Highway 66 winter gate opened. Since moving to the north of the city, I'd not been back there, but my visit this week showed that it's no less popular these days.

Matt DiMarino on the SW ridge
Because of that popularity, the main trail becomes a steeply inclined skating rink in the spring. Here's my tip for a nice way to avoid the slippery stuff; I call it the SW Ridge; I should probably check to see what the guidebooks say - I'm sure Gillean Daffern has this one covered.

Summit, with Moose Mountain behind

Park by the winter gate, and walk past it to Prairie Creek. Cross the creek, and follow the trail upstream. You'll cross a footbridge and a climbing area, followed by a short, possibly icy, uphill section. After about another kilometre the rail skirts a drop to the left, and turns left. Gain the ridge that is now on your right, and follow a faint trail (occasional flagging, etc.) straight up the hill, to emerge on the main trail, just above where it usually turns to ice. I've gone that way maybe four or five times, and have never met anybody there.

I've done a couple of random descents from this summit, once headed directly west from the cairn, and once dropping down to the southeast from the main trail, just after the summit cliffs. Neither was anything to write home (or a blog) about.


No comments: