Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Thursday 2 June 2016

Mt. Lawrence Grassi, Canmore

Hiking Mt. Lawrence Grassi

I did a solo hike up Mt. Lawrence Grassi on Wednesday. It was my first mountain hike since picking up a couple of injuries about eight weeks ago. My target of 52 hikes for the year is looking a little shaky now, but I’m hoping to sink some big ones soon, as the snow clears. The hike is straightforward, apart from one point where I almost missed the turning out of the creek. I missed this cairn:


And this wooden marker:


And this red arrow:


Before tripping over this stone arrow.



On the way down, when I reached the same point, I looked up at the sky and saw this arrow pointing down my route...


Apart from this little navigational blip, the route is mostly a hike, with a bit near the top that requires care while crossing slabs covered in ball-bearing pebbles. I saw a large bighorn sheep ram, and chatted with three nice older ladies on the summit.


Red Paintbrush


Bighorn ram wandering towards Goat Creek

spray valley

Looking down Spray lake

spray valley

Spray Lake and central Kananaskis Country


The true summit of Lawrence Grassi is on the left. The slightly sketchy section of the ramp is visible below it

Lawrence Grassi

Bow Valley from Grassi summit

Mt Rundle

Ha Ling, Mt. Rundle and a distant view of Cascade Mountain

Lawrence grassi

Summit selfie

Essentials

Mt. Lawrence Grassi, near Canmore
~11 km, 1,000 m of ascent.
Easy scrambling with one short, potentially dangerous stretch.

No comments: