Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Sunday 10 January 2010

Mainly urban skiing

Canada Olympic Park in December 2010I've not been updating this blog much so far over the winter. It's mainly due to a lack of trips to the hills. Through Mark (with whom I climbed Mt Rae) I got involved with CADS, the disabled ski association, so since early November I've been attending Thursday training sessions and helping out on Friday ski nights, at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary. It's done my skiing a lot of good; although I've had less trips to the mountains, I've had maybe a dozen trips to COP. Having to think about how to help someone less physically able to ski safely really improves your balance.

Looking out at Calgary across the COP slopes
On the few trips to the mountains we've had so far this season, I've been getting a lot of skiing into a short time; last Sunday I descended 72 km and 9,700 m at Sunshine Village, with the majority being off-piste and gladed skiing. It's a far cry from a few years back, when I could barely ski at all. I wasn't planning on skiing much this season, but as usual, plans change. This is, after all, what they call 'adaptive skiing'!




No comments: