Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Monday 30 May 2011

Flood Time :-(

We managed a couple of trips the weekend before last - a day on the lower Kan and another on the Castle Junction to Banff run, both with BWCC members. The weekend before that, we ran Ghost Dam to Cochrane. I think that's seven trips for me so far this season. All of them have been great fun, although for the second time in eight months, the run into Banff was horribly windy and the end of the trip was deluged with rain. This time, however, I had my group shelter, and the rain quickly gave up when it realised it couldn't win.

I have various photos from the trips, and am gradually resolving the problem of running out storage, courtesy of Paddington, who has lent me his email account. Good boy; I knew he must have a use.


Unfortunately last week was characterised by heavy rain, which has raised the rivers to flood stage. This was pretty amazing to watch, but scuttled our chances of paddling, and stole several MTB trails in Fish Creek forever. The picnic sites don't look so great, either.

Of course, with the two main rivers in Calgary closed by the Fire Dept and the third running at 90 cms instead of its usual 1 cms, it was inevitable that our new paddles would arrive.......only to sit unused in the basement.


I managed to get out on the road bike last night, as the weather cleared, before taking the Fish Creek pictures on an evening walk. It was lovely out there, but the guys I was riding with were pretty fit, and I was hard pushed to keep up. We averaged 25.5 kmph over 37 km, with 500 m of ascent. I need to get riding more often!

No comments: